- Our Mission
- Capital Defender
- Central Office
- Circuit Public Defender Offices
- Office of the Mental Health Advocate
- Training Resources
- Agendas & Minutes
Contract Attorney needed in Columbus, GA area
The Conflicts Division for the Georgia Public Defender Council (GPDC) has an IMMEDIATE need for an experienced criminal defense attorney (preferably five or more years of extensive criminal law experience) with an intention to remain in private practice in the Columbus, Georgia or nearby area. The ideal candidate would have a minimum of five years experience as a criminal lawyer (possible former prosecutor considered) who has the intention of remaining in private practice for the foreseeable future and has a strong desire to provide excellent service as counsel to indigent defendants. This candidate would need to be in a position to immediately assume responsibility for a substantial caseload and be ready to accept new clients assigned by the GPDC Conflicts Division. The contract attorney would understand that there will be a contractual obligation to handle all assigned matters through their final disposition whether or not that disposition occurs during the contract period or sometime thereafter. The ability to handle every type of case, from the least serious misdemeanor to murder cases is required.
The pay will be negotiable and contingent upon the anticipated number of clients assigned to the contract attorney. This is an excellent opportunity for someone looking to build a private practice with a focus on criminal defense work in the Columbus, Georgia area. Only dedicated attorneys who are committed to providing timely and excellent client services need apply.
All interested candidates should send a letter of interest and resume to ConflictRequest@gapublicdefender.org with the terms “INTERESTED ATTORNEY-URGENT CHATTAHOOCHEE CIRCUIT CONTRACT” placed in the Subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
This will remain posted until filled. Original Posting date is 4/21/2016.
Contract Attorneys Needed
The Conflicts Division of the Georgia Public Defender Standards Council has an immediate need for Contract Attorneys to handle indigent defense conflict cases in the following circuits: Augusta Judicial Circuit, Brunswick Judicial Circuit, Chattahoochee Judicial Circuit, Clayton Judicial Circuit, Lookout Mountain Judicial Circuit, Mountain Judicial Circuit, Southwestern Judicial Circuit, Stone Mountain Judicial Circuit, and Tallapoosa Judicial Circuit. Qualified candidates should have minimum of three years of criminal defense experience in private practice or experience in a District Attorney or Public Defender office as lead counsel. Other substantially comparable experience may be considered. Interested attorneys should be prepared to accept from 25 to 65 or more new clients over a six month period or from 50 to 130 or more new clients over the course of one year. These attorneys should have the time resources available to handle such a case load with professionalism and dedication. The clients assigned under these contracts will have pending matters in Superior or Juvenile Courts and, in some areas, attorneys will be expected to handle cases in both Superior and Juvenile Courts. Selected contract attorneys will be paid an amount that will be based on the anticipated number of new clients to be assigned over the contract period and will receive monthly installment payments over the course of the contract, but will be required to handle all assigned clients’ legal matters through final disposition. Selected contract attorneys will be paid additional fees for conducting jury trials, for murder and felony murder cases, and for appellate work (if appropriate). All assignments of cases and practically all communication related to assigned matters will be via email, thus making it imperative that the selected attorney is responsive in a timely manner to this type of communication. Substantial jury trial experience will be preferred.
To be considered, please provide a current resume with references and a letter of interest. This information should be sent to ConflictRequest@gapublicdefender.org with the terms “Interested Attorney Contractor” placed in the Subject line of the email. The letter of interest and email should be to the attention of: Jim Stokes, Director, Conflicts Division, GPDSC. No phone calls please.
Contract Conflict Attorney
Immediate Need for a Criminal Defense Attorney willing to work under contract to handle matters at the discretion of the Managing Attorney in the Griffin Circuit Conflict Defender Office. The Office is located in Zebulon, Georgia in Pike County. The Circuit includes Fayette, Spalding, Pike, and Upson Counties. The work will include handling preliminary/committal hearings in Magistrate Courts, Scheduled Guilty Pleas in Superior Court, along with other duties as determined by the Managing Attorney. Compensation is negotiable and based on experience and the extent of duties to be undertaken.
If interested, please send a letter of interest and resume to ConflictRequest@gapublicdefender.org with the terms “Griffin Circuit Conflict Defender Contract” placed in the Subject line of the email and to the attention of Jim Stokes, Director, Conflicts Division, GPDC. No phone calls please.
Appellate Level Conflict Attorney
Location: multiple throughout Georgia
The Georgia Public Defender Standards Council (GPDSC) seeks qualified candidates to serve on a contractual and ad hoc basis in the representation of indigent clients from their motions for new trial through direct appeal from criminal convictions. Positions are available in the various judicial circuits in Georgia, with attorneys especially sought in the southern Georgia geographic area. Candidates for these opportunities must:
- Be a member in good standing of the State Bar of Georgia;
- Be both personally and professionally willing to provide competent, zealous and effective advocacy and representation on behalf of clients through the end of their direct appeal;
- Either (i) have at least three years of prior experience in handling criminal cases including criminal appeals; or (ii) be a licensed attorney for five years; or (iii) be supervised by a lawyer, with at least three years of prior experience in handling criminal cases including criminal appeals or has been a licensed attorney for at least five years.
- Be able to certify in writing that they have not been subject to disciplinary findings by the State Bar or other court or agency in the previous five years.
- Be available to participate in a training program organized and produced by the GPDSC.
- Affirm in writing that the attorney will (i) provide for the allotted time; (ii) not accept additional work that prevents the Contract Attorney from devoting that amount of time to the case or cases accepted.
Interested applicants must submit:
- A cover letter and resume detailing the nature of the prior criminal experience, the nature of the work that qualifies them for the contract and the judicial circuits of interest;
- A writing sample of the applicant’s written work no more than 15 pages; and
- The contact information for three references who have reviewed applicant’s work.
by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Interested Appellate Attorney” placed in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
Trial Level Conflict Attorney
Location: multiple throughout Georgia
The Georgia Public Defender Standards Council (GPDSC) seeks qualified attorneys willing to accept assigned cases on an ad hoc basis for indigent defendants where the local public defender office has declared a conflict of interest. There is a need for attorneys throughout the State of Georgia. These attorneys must be willing to accept assigned cases for pre-negotiated rates and must possess the following qualifications:
- Be a member in good standing of the State Bar of Georgia;
- Be willing to accept all assigned cases in a designated geographic area (excluding death penalty);
- Be willing and able to provide competent, zealous, and effective advocacy and representation on behalf of clients through the course of the final disposition of their case, including through jury trial;
- Have experience in criminal trial litigation;
- Have a law practice with necessary support which allows the contractor the requisite time and energy to devote to the zealous representation of assigned clients;
- Be capable and willing to provide appellate representation to their clients who are convicted by a judge or jury;
- Be prepared to accept cases upon notification from the GPDSC Conflicts Division on or after September 15, 2011.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter summarizing experience and their judicial circuits of interest along with a resume to Jim Stokes, Director, Conflicts Division, GPDSC by email to ConflictRequest@gapublicdefender.org with the words ‘Interested Conflict Attorney’ placed in the subject line of the email. No phone calls please.
STAFF: Log in to our intranet
CONTRACT ATTORNEYS: Log in to our extranet
Click HERE to view the Consent Decree in Flournoy et al v. Georgia et al
APPLICATIONS FOR SERVICES AND PROCEDURES FOR DETERMINING INDIGENCE
- Procedure for Verification of Indigence
- Guidelines and Procedure for Indigency Verification Systems and Application to Continue to Retain Funds
- Guidelines for Determining Qualification of Applicants
- 2016 Poverty Guidelines
- Application for Services in English
- Application for Services in English - print only
- Application for Services in Spanish - print only
- Dependent Supplement
- Dependent Supplement - print only
- Approval Form
- Approval Form- print only
- Sample Juvenile Application Form (Word file)